It’s that time of year again. The Fourth has come and gone, your friends are out of town, you’re slaving away at your mind-numbingly boring summer job, and it’s just so hot. I can’t be the only one who starts to slip into a bit of a slump sometime around mid-July. But it’s still summer, and before you know it, school will be back in session and you’ll be breaking out the ol’ puffy coat once again. Here are a few ways to kick the midsummer doldrums and enjoy the rest of your vacation to its fullest.
1. Simple, but effective: take a long, hot shower. Shave, exfoliate, and deep condition. It’s a relaxing process that’ll make you feel like an entirely new person. And I don’t know about you, but when it gets hot my skin tends to dry out and my hair frizzes to afro-like proportions- a little beauty TLC is a much-needed mood booster.
2. Read that book you’ve been meaning to get to forever. Or watch that show. Or go see that movie. A little entertainment, a little escapism, and the glorious feeling of knocking something off your to-do list- what better way to distract yourself from the doldrums?
3. Get outta town! See the sights, go shopping, eat good food, have adventures, visit old friends and meet new ones. Whether it’s a day trip or a weeklong getaway, a change of scenery is great for breaking out of a midsummer funk.
4. Go the extra mile. Not to sound like a bad inspirational poster, but going above and beyond what is required or expected of you can actually make you feel really good and accomplished and not as completely bored to tears as you were an hour ago. Putting in a little extra effort at work, school, or around the house will pull you out of the highly unpleasant “what am I even doing with my life?!” panic that tends to hit during the midsummer slump and make you feel like a productive, useful human being once again.
5. Wake up early. I swear I’m not a total sadist- adding a couple of extra hours to your day gives you time for taking a walk, catching up on housework, grabbing breakfast with a friend, or just relaxing. Plus, July weather is actually bearable before 9AM. Try having your morning coffee outside and soaking up some happy sunshine rays before going about your day.
6. Get some exercise. And actually listen to your trainer when he or she tells you what to eat pre- and post-workout- the right fuel can make you feel way more energized and fulfilled during and after your workout.
7. Do something completely ridiculous and self-indulgent. Like spending your Tuesday night eating an entire pizza by yourself while watching a marathon of Gilmore Girls (not that I’ve done that or anything). If your day job has you bankin’, splurge on something you’ve been wanting for a while, like a sick new pair of shoes, concert tickets, or enough gas to hightail it outta town (see #3).
Hopefully these seven little tricks will help save your summer and your sanity as July drags on. If you have any other ideas for beating the midsummer blues, spill- it’s gonna be a long month!